Palm Oil Facts
- Palm oil is in over half the items purchased in the supermarket.
- Farming for palm oil means Deforestation of rainforests to make room for palm plantations. This process releases huge quantities of greenhouse gas – carbon is released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide (CO2), the gas that is the leading cause of global warming.
- 300 football fields of rain forest are cleared every HOUR to make room for palm oil plantations.
- Due to the palm oil plantation, Indonesia had the highest rate of deforestation in the world.
- THE world’s biggest growers of palm oil say they’re stepping up efforts to produce the contentious commodity more sustainably, but consumers are unwilling to pay more for environmentally friendly supply. This must change.
Be a Palm Oil HoW Changer
Refuse purchasing any items containing palm oil. For example, Oreo cookies & Nutella can be made using sustainable palm oil. Our purchasing power is the most important tool. Get your kids involved too.
- RequestThere are many feasible methods of producing palm oil that will not involve deforestation and animal deaths. There are many corporations who have joined the roundtable but they still need to adopt these guidelines.
- RALLY Attend local rallies and efforts to ensure that companies adhere to the guidelines to prevent further deforestation.
- Reach Out
Contact your local government to support communities to develop legislation to solely allow and import goods with a “sustainable palm oil” seal.
Sustainable palm oil is available but corporations must be willing to purchase this higher standard palm oil. Download the Principles and Criteria for the Production of Sustainable Palm Oil