Plastic Straws & Cutlery
Plastic Straws & Cutlery Facts
- Each year 100,000 marine animals and over 1 million seabirds die from ingesting plastic.
- By 2050 it is estimated that there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean.
- Everyday the U.S. discards 500,000,000 plastic straws that end up in landfills and oceans forever.
- The average person in the U.S. will use 38,000 or more straws between the ages of 5 and 65. The average person uses 1.6 straws a day.
- Each year 40,000,000,000 plastic forks, spoons, and knives are used and thrown away each year. That is a lot of zeros!
Be a Plastic Straw & Cutlery HoW Changer #CUTOUTCUTLERY
- Refuse Say no to plastic straws & cutlery! #CutOutCutlery
- Replace Use plastic straw alternatives, such as paper, metal, glass, bamboo and even pasta straws. More alternatives here
- Request Ask restaurants and stores to serve straws only upon request, consider plastic straw alternatives, or stop using straws. Ask them to provide plastic cutlery for to-go orders by request only.
- Rally Attend local rallies and efforts for restricting and banning single use plastics, your voice matters
“Sheila Morovati played an integral role in moving the City of Malibu closer to a single-use plastic straw, stirrer and cutlery ban.”Sheila’s leadership in organizing the “STRAWS” documentary film screening and panel discussion in partnership with the City of Malibu catalyzed the City Council and the community to charge forward on this issue. Sheila has an innate ability to inspire people to make a change for the better, whether it’s one straw or one crayon at a time. These collective actions add up, and we will see the full effect of these individual actions when an entire city chooses to protect our beloved coastline from plastic pollution.
— Casey Zweig
Environmental Programs Coordinator I City of Malibu
Plastic Straws & Cutlery News
Malibu Plastic Straws And Cutlery Ban
- Malibu Moves To Ban Single-Use Plastic
- Malibu in California bans plastic cutlery and straws
- Plastic straws banned from Malibu beach
- Straws Ban PressRelease 2.12.18
- Malibu bans plastic cutlery and straws in an attempt to keep its star-studded beaches pristine
- California’s tony Malibu bans plastic utensils, straws
- Malibu bans restaurants from giving out plastic straws, stirrers and utensils
- California beach town bans plastic straws and cutlery
California Plastic Straw Restrictions
- California lawmakers vote to restrict use of plastic straws, keeping state in national spotlight on environment
- California Could Soon Become The First State To Restrict The Use Of Plastic Straws
Seattle Plastic Straw And Utensil Ban
- Seattle becomes first major U.S. city to ban straws
- Seattle becomes first U.S. city to ban plastic utensils and straws