Plastic Bottle Facts
- 481.6 BILLION plastic bottles were used worldwide in a single year. That’s 40 billion per month and 1.3 billion per year.
- Only 9% of plastic is recycled (this number is declining) due to China no longer accepting US plastics.
- More than $1 billion worth of plastic is wasted each year.
- The recommendation to drink 8 glasses of water a day equals about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400
- America’s demand for plastic water bottles uses over 17 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year. This stat does not include the oil used for transportation.
Be a Plastic Bottle HoW Changer
Say no to plastic bottles! BYOB and fill up anywhere using applications such as TAP.
Use plastic bottle alternatives, such as reusable water bottles.
Ask your school or office for a water filtration system program or hydration station that encourages students or employees to bring reusable bottles.
Attend local rallies and efforts for restricting and banning single use plastics. Your voice matters.
- Reach Out
Contact your favorite water bottle companies asking them to consider eco-alternatives to plastic.