Plastic Bottle Facts
- 481.6 BILLION plastic bottles were used worldwide in a single year. That’s 40 billion per month and 1.3 billion per year.
- Only 9% of plastic is recycled (this number is declining) due to China no longer accepting US plastics.
- More than $1 billion worth of plastic is wasted each year.
- The recommendation to drink 8 glasses of water a day equals about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400.
- America’s demand for plastic water bottles uses over 17 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year. This stat does not include the oil used for transportation.
Be a Plastic Bottle HoW Changer
- Refuse Say no to plastic bottles! BYOB and fill up anywhere using applications such as TAP.
- Replace Use plastic bottle alternatives, such as reusable water bottles.
- Request Ask your school or office for a water filtration system program or hydration station that encourages students or employees to bring reusable bottles.
- Rally Attend local rallies and efforts for restricting and banning single use plastics. Your voice matters.
- Reach Out Contact your favorite water bottle companies asking them to consider eco-alternatives to plastic.